FormaHoof 2019 - This is how we help horses with laminitis
Formahoof offers an effective combination of mechanics and medication in treating laminitis. We can provide the nearest-to-nature comfort and support for immediate relief and sets them on the path towards maximum hoof health.
But first things first!
What is Laminitis?
Laminitis is a prevalent, extremely painful condition in horses that has significant welfare implications. It results from the disruption of blood flow to the laminae and has significant welfare implications. It is known as a medical emergency and horses should be treated as soon as possible. Box-rest along with dietary changes -roughage-rich foodstuffs should form part of a revised diet- are important and can help in the recovery process.
What are the causes of laminitis?
- High intake of soluble carbohydrates
- Severe infection
- Cushing’s disease
- Support limb overload
Signs that a horse is laminitic:
- Its reluctance to move forward. Front feet are most likely to be affected by laminitis.
- Horse's backward-leaning stance in an attempt to take weight off its front legs.
- Horses found to be lying down more often -relieving the pain of inflamed feet.
- 'Bounding pulses' in the horse's feet - hooves that are warmer to the touch - these are particular signs that should be monitored.
- Sensitivity to pressure when applied to the sole of the foot
- Obesity - ensuring your horse isn’t putting too much strain on the feet -if you can’t see the ribs but can feel them, your horse’s weight is likely to be at an acceptable level.
How FormaHoof can help
● By applying FormaHoof, it allows you to instantly rebuild and stabilize the hoof structure, providing immediate relief.
● Allows the hoof to remain in a medicated environment during its healing process.
● Formahoof prevents re-infection by stopping urine, feces and debris from reaching the infected area while keeping the healing environment clean.
● Supporting the hoof capsule through the natural regeneration process.
● Restores the hoof capsule and sole arch, giving instant relief to horses that have severe rotation and P3 penetration.
We offer the most effective hoof protection for your horses suffering from laminitis as it is a non-invasive process (no nails)